Instruire & ConsultantaInstruire & Consultanta Courses
5. Computer Aided Manufacturing (GerbTool) and interfacing the designer, manufacturer and assembler
The course provides the participants with a systematic overview of CAM processing and presents, based on numerous figures, case studies and examples, a practical approach on CAM activities and manufacturing of PCBs. The chapters cover a large area of topics, from fundamentals of CAM and CAM tools to standards and formats for manufacturing of PCB layouts. A few Flash movies, which are destined to a better understanding of CAM activities and related topics, are also presented.
3 days - 2.5 days for the course and 0.5 day for performance evaluation, remarks and discussions.
- Finishing and checking of PCB projects. Ensuring manufacturability. DFM methods.
- PCB post-processing for documentation and manufacturing.
- Basics of manufacturing formats and standards. Apertures and D-codes, G-codes, M-codes. Description of the photo-plotter equipment and its actions. Gerber file contents. Aperture lists. Example of manufacturing files based on RS 274-D.
- RS 274-X standard. Benefits of RS 274-X format. Embedding format info in the 274-X header. 274-X and Apertures. The basic aperture definitions. Custom apertures. Example of manufacturing files based on RS 274-X. Polarity. Step and Repeat. Mirror Image, Downside to RS274-X.
- Excellon format for drilling the PCB. Advantages and drawbacks. Tool (drill bit) lists: standard drill, extended drill lists. Sieb & Mayer vs. Excellon.
- Gerber files and Excellon files for manufacturing of PCBs. Specific topics at the CAD-CAM interface.
- Gerbtool software system for advanced CAM activities
- Gerbtool user interface. Gerbtool window. Title & menu bars. Toolbar button reference. Layer bar. The Navigator. Data & commands tabs. XY, aerial & colour bars.
- Selection Filter. Item Properties Display. Status Bar.
- Opening/Importing & Saving/Exporting of various CAD files.
- Working in workspace.
- Preparing a PCB project for manufacturing. Panelisation and advanced actions for smoothing the link to manufacture equipment.
- Creating a new CAM design. Development of PCB layouts directly in Gerbtool.
- Special RF and microwave structures created in Gerbtool
- Interfacing the designer, the manufacturer and the assembler, practical and important aspects for obtaining high-quality projects.
- Course summary/review
- Multiple-choice test for the theory
- Practice exam
- Instructor/student conference with technical remarks and final discussions
A set of course notes and various printed technical documents will be provided to each participant.
800 EUR/company, unlimited number of participants
- For independent specialists the fee can be lower, based on negotiations.
A final exam will be used at the end of the course to evaluate the performance. The exam is divided in two parts, one multiple-choice test for the theory and one practice exam focused on engineering aspects of the course.
Who should attend
The course is designed for electrical and electronics engineers involved in PCB design and CAM activities, manufacturing professionals and specialists from printed circuits industry, professors in the field of electronic packaging, technical managers, and students who wish to get a comprehensive overview of CAM activities and CAM tools. The course is focused on various practical aspects and, due to a large number of examples which can be directly applied in practice, is addressed also to R&D engineers and researchers from innovative companies involved in development of high performance electronic products, who would like to have a solid background in the field of CAD-CAM interface and preparing files for PCB manufacturing.